I may not be a psychiatrist or counselor; but I AM however, a professional on becoming lost – and finding a positive new direction.
“Getting lost is not a waste of time; to travel is to Evolve”
I’m not talking about just geographically (though I’m good at that too) here, although sometimes I feel like that would be a WHOLE lot easier than the emotional fatigue of feeling uneasy about the direction of the future. I’m talking grand scale lost: Mentally, emotionally, spiritually and of course, even physically.
Whether you can relate to those feelings of being unsure of your life decisions, lacking self-confidence to change your path, falling out of love with a partner, feeling unfulfilled by having “things”, wanting to explore new places or ideas, finding yourself more passionate about a hobby than your job, or perhaps, just feeling a rift between you and your circle of friends that you don’t seem to relate to anymore.
“When you allow yourself to get completely and utterly lost, let go of attachment to places, people and things; you give yourself the beautiful new chance of figuring out exactly who you are”
Whatever the scenario, it can be an OVERWHELMING mental challenge that some may be embarrassed about, and be completely clueless about WHO they can reach out to, HOW they can change thier situation, WHERE they can gain clarity and WHY they just can’t be “normal”.
“Sometimes you have to stop thinking so much, and just go where your heart takes you ”
-Power of Positivity
So today, I want to give you my TOP TEN pointers about letting go of the past, and moving FORWARD to find that fulfilling future that’s waiting to be swept up with both arms:
- BE KIND TO YOURSELF – The first thing you need to do in crisis mode, is to learn to be KIND to yourself. Be loving of the changes going on in your mind, body and surrounds and learn to let of those negative thoughts of “I can’t”, “I’m not good enough” or “it’s too hard”. Harder still, is continuing to live the lie that you LOVE your life exactly how it is, and not be filled with happiness.
- ACCEPT, ADJUST, ACCOMMODATE – Accept that things CAN and WILL change for the better. Adjust your schedule to flow better with your passions and things that make you happy; letting go of the things/people that don’t. Accommodate to new opportunities that are starting to present in your life and greet them with open arms.
- STOP COMPARING – Unplug from the distractions of your local and internet world and spend some time detaching from everyTHING and everyONE you know. Go on a hike in the wilderness. Volunteer somewhere. Spend time in an ashram. Have a technology time-out. Whatever you do, stop comparing YOUR life to that of your peers – or even worse, celebrities that share your age. You don’t know WHAT they had to do to get to where they are, how hard their journey has been, or if they are even really happy!
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO MAKE A DECISION; NOT MAKING ONE IS A LOT HARDER TO LIVE WITH – There’s HUGE change going on inside your head and you’re scared that if you make just ONE more “wrong” decision, you will end up a penny-less-pauper. Do some research on what you might want to do, and see what sparks excitement within…
- TAKE BIG RISKS – I don’t mean jump off a cliff hoping you will fly; but if you have a BURNING desire within you to try something or challenge your self in some new way – just do it. Whats the worst that can happen? You don’t fail; you just get ONE STEP CLOSER to encompassing GREAT SUCCESS.
- WRITE A S.W.O.T. ANALYSIS – Strengths, weaknesses, obstacles and threats. I feel like I’m back in school writing this, but the simple SWOT analysis reveals a lot about A LOT. Your work. Your home life. Your relationships. Your passions. Your goals. If you SWOT everything (even those annoying summer flies); it will give you a greater insight into what you’re really GOOD at, and what has to… go
- VISIT A CAREER/LIFE COUNSELOR – If you’ve talked the ear off your family and friends, and don’t feel confident to create change; go and see a professional. Not only will they give you answers and systems to work out where to go from here; but they will probably reiterate what a lot of loved ones have been trying to tell you, but you’ve just been too stubborn to listen to.
- BE PREPARED TO CHALLENGE YOUR BELIEFS – “If you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always got”. If you’re not willing to open your mind, ask for help, get some guidance and actually MAKE some changes – your life is going to be exactly the same in twelve months time.
- BREAK DOWN YOUR GOALS INTO SMALL CHUNKS – If you want to run a marathon in six months and you’re not currently a runner, you wouldn’t just show up on the day and hope for the best right? If you break down your BIG goals into little daily ones (i.e. a 2km run 3 times a week increasing distance each week following), then all of a sudden – you’re THERE. Without becoming overwhelmed and giving up on the seemingly MASSIVE goal, you have gone ahead and achieved it in your humblest of ways. Pretty amazing huh?
- JUST DO IT – You’ve recognised that change needs to happen, you’ve gained guidance and insights, you’ve got support and direction, you’ve broken down your goals into achievable chunks and now there’s only one thing left: ACTION. No-one can change your life for you, no-one is going to give you ALL the answers or hand you a fool-proof system of success, but if you really BELIEVE that things CAN and WILL change; then start living as if it already has.
“It takes a lot of courage to grow up and become who you really are”
– E.E. Cummings
To all those that relate to this, please know once and for all that you are NOT solo on this journey that leaves you feeling so alone.
Know that you CAN overcome the hurdles ahead.
Know that you WILL rise up and make changes.
And lastly, know that you (and only you), are well and truly WORTHY of recieving that greater life that you have always dreamed of – you just need to start taking action to GO GET IT!
Love and light,
Monique Elouise xx