Last week, I published an interview with Superstar Nutritional Therapist, Kelsey Ale. Not only does she help people find their BEST health, but she also makes delicious Paleo desserts… So, by popular demand, I’ve managed to get the details of her infamous ‘SEXY BLACK FORREST CAKE’
With Valentine Day FAST approaching, what better way to find the way to your lovers heart – than through their stomach!
- 1 c coconut flour
- ½ c cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 10 eggs
- ⅔ c coconut oil
- ⅓ c almond milk
- 1 c maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Cherry Whipped Cream
- 2 c coconut cream
- 8 oz frozen dark cherries, thawed (or fresh)
- 1 Tbsp gelatin
- ¼ c boiling water
- 4 Tbsp kirschwasser
- ¼ c honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp decaf espresso
- 4 oz unsweetened baker’s chocolate
- ⅓ c coconut oil
- ¼ c honey
Prepare the Cake!!
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º (180º Celsius). Oil 2 8” round cake pans, dust them with arrowroot, and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar. Whisk the mixture until it’s smooth and completely combined.
- In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix to completely combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to incorporate. The mixture will be lumpy – let it set for -3 minutes, then mix again until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the oiled and lined cake pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes. Turn the cakes out of the pans to cool completely on a wire rack.
To Prepare the Whipped Filling:
- In a small bowl, pour the 4 Tbsp kirschwasser. Sprinkle the gelatin over the kirschwasser to allow it to “bloom”
- While the gelatin is blooming, chop the cherries and set them aside.
- Add the boiling water to the kirschwasser and gelatin and stir to dissolve.
- Combine all ingredients except the chopped cherries in a medium bowl, and whip until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Fold the chopped cherries into the whipped cream. Transfer the bowl to the fridge and chill until set, 1 hour- overnight.
To Prepare the Ganache:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a double boiler.
- Heat over medium until ingredients are melted.
- Stir to combine, then remove the bowl from the heat and allow the ganache to cool while you prepare the cake.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Bake the cake and set it aside to cool.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the whipped cherry filling and allow to set and chill in the fridge.
- Carefully use a serrated knife to cut the cake layers in half through the middle, to create 4 total cake layers.
- Plate the first layer of cake and spoon ½ – ⅔ cup of the whipped topping onto the layer. Spread the whipped topping evenly over the layer, then repeat with the remaining cake layers and whipped topping, finishing with the top cake layer.
- Place the cake in the fridge to set.
- While the cake is setting prepare the ganache.
- Remove cake from fridge and pour ganache over the top, carefully tilting the cake to drizzle the ganache down the sides.
- Chill to set, about 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the fridge 15 minutes before serving, to allow the ganache to soften.
For the FULL copy of Kelsey’s delicious, FAT-BURNING desserts, follow the link to find out how to get your FREE copy!!
Love & light,
Monique Elouise xx